Our History

Early Maori knew the foot of Cashmere as Iringa o Kahukura, the setting up of the Kahukura (rainbow god).

In 1900 the school was developed in response to the needs of a growing population on the Cashmere Hills. Kitty Kidson began teaching seven children in her home at 10 Kidson Terrace. The school was called the Port Hills Aided School (the parents of the pupils had to supply some of the school's needs before the Education Board would contribute).

As the roll increased the school moved to other private homes and then to a new building on its present site in 1905. The land was donated by the Cracroft estate. Additional land was purchased much later from the Kidson property. In 1907 the school was renamed Cashmere School. Thousands of children have passed through the school and reminisce about the special physical character as well as the very happy years they spent being educated at Cashmere.

An official account of the history of the school and community has been documented. Here, on the Hill: a century of Cashmere's primary school and community by John Small was published in 2000 to celebrate the school's centenary. Copies may be borrowed from the school's library.